na foine ting


Thursday, April 21, 2005
 
Listen carefully, because this is a bit difficult to follow. I've been writing song lyrics recently for a very talented and entirely fictional character, Edi McCandry. Edi is originally a character Emma Bull made up, which is important because this all comes interestingly full circle in a minute here.

Edi is not just a character Emma Bull made up, but a role playing/gaming character faced by Miranda Otto (mrrrowww), and although I'd like to post her gorgeous webpage up I'll refrain, because really it all infringes copyright left and right and center.

Edi's player is a very talented writer, and plays her gorgeously, and mentioned wanting some original songs for the character to perform in play, so we talked about Edi's new (fictional) album (and I will post the album cover, which is gorgeous and original, and I'll post that as soon as I get a link from the player), and I sat down with some raw material that seemed right (Tennyson's "Lady of Shalott" and some bits and pieces from the LotR that had gone into the character page), and came up with some songs.

Well, everyone's been so complimentary about all the songs in play that my head got huge, and since I liked the song Widdershins in particular (it's below), I thought gosh wouldn't it be nice if someone actually sang these sometime.

This got me thinking about anyone who sings that kind of music who's even remotely someone I have contact with, which narrowed it down to only a couple of women (oddly enough I know lots of men who sing magical, celtic-inspired songs but very few women). One of these was the Fabulous Lorraine, originally of the Flash Girls who, of course was Lorraine Garland and Emma Bull.

Hah! See, full circle I came, and walking counterclockwise, thank you very much.

Anyway, I sent "Widdershins" off to Lorraine and got a nice note back from Malena, the other half of the visually stunning and talented Lorraine a' Malena duo, who have an album coming out this summer with all kinds of awesome stuff on it.

So there you go.

The songs I've written for Edi to date are below. The name of the fictional album is "Regret of Armor."

**

Regret of Armor

I had the wrong address
Took the wrong fork in the road I
Forgot where I was and he had

Lips like roses
Spun gold hair
Angel's voice and
Turn me away

Turn me away

I must have been dreaming
Light off the armor blinded me
Some kind of fairytale and he had

Lips like roses
Spun gold hair
Angel's voice and
Turn me away

Turn me away

I lift up the visor
His eyes were bluer than sky and my
World turned to ash and he had

Lips like roses
Spun gold hair
Angel's voice and
Turn me away

Turn me away... give me

All that is real and
All that is you and
All that is hungry and
Hopeful and eyes that are yours and like
nothing like nothing at all...

Turn me away
Turn me away


**

The lady of Shalott



I kept trying to call you
A language I forgot, and you had long since turned away




All those castles crumbled
And even iron shatters
And what was real was just a dream and the dream was what was real and
I’m so sorry



I am half sick of shadows




Chorus:

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.


I swear I’m trying to call you
A language I forget, and you have long since turned away



Floating down the river
I’m dead and I still love you
And what was real was just a dream and the dream was what was real and
I’m so sorry



And in his mercy lend me grace



All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.



***

Right, and that's enough unbridled geekdom for one day.

I think it stops *just* this side of filking. Ack.
Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger