na foine ting
Wednesday, April 13, 2005
Someone wondered to me recently in email (and given how I am known to answer or rather not answer email figure that could have been sometime this year) that my tone on this thing had gotten serious all of a sudden. Or frustrated, or something other than perky. Which I am capable of, you know, with the proper application of things like hockey, alcohol and/or chocolate. Perkiness, I mean.
It might be the case.
However, as I said to another friend, despite a few curve balls, it's really impossible to be consistently sad or anything like that in the face of a four month old, particularly when that face is grinning toothlessly at you and making cute squeaky noises it just learned.
I miss hockey like a hole in my heart.
Melodramatic, also true. Not being able to spectate and play, both at the same time, must be some sort of test of the Emergency Kate Systems. But I'm under two weeks before the cast's off, and Bryan A. says he'll get me through rehabbing it, which gives me something to look forward to, in that "it'll hurt but be worth it" kind of way.
And meanwhile I dream about pro hockey, in full color, and wake up wondering how the boys are all doing in their various locations around the world.
Sarah said I ought to have my cast signed, and asked who I'd most want it signed by.
I said Marco Sturm.
It's impossible to *miss* Paul, really, in that way you miss a loved one who's just died. I talked to him infrequently, despite what an idee fixe he was in my life.
I miss him in a tangential way: there's no hole he left to fall into suddenly, in my day to day life.
But I look down a road I used to drive to his house, for example, and regret that if I wanted to visit, he's no longer residing there.
No, all right, really, Dan (the other Dan). Now I'm all paranoid about my tone.
Thanks a bunch. Pttthththtt. (How's that for chipper?)
THREE NAMES YOU GO BY:
3. Red (usually with something derisive after it from the opposing bench, ie., "get your elbow down, Red!")
THREE SCREEN NAMES YOU HAVE HAD:
3. Bartok the Bat
THREE PHYSICAL THINGS YOU LIKE ABOUT YOURSELF:
3. can skate fast and take hits despite my advanced age
THREE PHYSICAL THINGS YOU DON'T LIKE ABOUT YOURSELF:
1. neck gets whiplashed too easily
2. foot is broken (fortunately still under warranty)
3. brain periodically misfires, usually around the 28th of the month
THREE PARTS OF YOUR HERITAGE:
3. Samoan (heritage, not ethnicity, right??)
THREE THINGS THAT SCARE YOU:
1. oral surgery
2. not being strong enough
3. the idea of something happening to my wife or kids
THREE OF YOUR EVERYDAY ESSENTIALS:
2. coffee with too much sugar and cream
THREE THINGS YOU ARE WEARING RIGHT NOW:
1. dangerously low cut slinky top that's a very odd shade of mottled dark blue and rose
2. a screaming bright pink foot cast with matching toenail polish
3. a purple thong
THREE OF YOUR FAVORITE BANDS OR MUSICAL ARTISTS:
1. Flogging Molly (I don't hold the broken foot against them)
2. The Pogues
3. Sisters of Mercy
THREE OF YOUR FAVORITE SONGS (of the moment): (replacing "favorite" with "obsessively listened to")
1. "Training" from the Miracle soundtrack
2. "Song to the Siren" - This Mortal Coil
3. "Lay me Down" - Ashley MacIsaac
THREE THINGS YOU WANT IN A RELATIONSHIP:
1. Puts up with my BS
2. Able to play extended games of "let's pretend" both in and out of a sexual context
3. Travels well and must roam the world frequently or go nuts
TWO TRUTHS AND A LIE (in no particular order):
1. I am courageous
2. I haven't eaten yet today
3. I miss playing wing to Reed's center
THREE OF YOUR FAVORITE HOBBIES:
1. Making Lili grin
2. sweet sweet internet, my rpg in particular
3. Elevator Games
THREE THINGS YOU WANT TO DO REALLY BADLY RIGHT NOW:
3. Tear this cast off, get on the ice and FUCKING PLAY
THREE CAREERS YOU'RE CONSIDERING:
1. writer/surf bum
2. writer/stay at home mom
3. writer/graduate student
THREE PLACES YOU WANT TO GO ON VACATION: (besides places I'm going already)
1. Scotland (Worldcon Glasgow, please)
2. Barcelona (you know who's fault)
THREE KID'S NAMES YOU DON'T LIKE:
THREE THINGS YOU WANT TO DO BEFORE YOU DIE:
1. Have a beer with Tim Hunter
2. Get my kids through college
3. Publish something really, really, really good.
THREE WAYS THAT YOU ARE STEREOTYPICALLY A BOY:
1. I fuck women.
2. I love porn
3. I enjoy smashing the shit out of things.
THREE WAYS THAT YOU ARE STEREOTYPICALLY A CHICK:
1. Chick flicks
2. Chick clothes
3. Incompetent with plumbing issues
THREE CELEB CRUSHES:
1. Ralph Finnes
2. That cute blonde actor whose name I can't remember but he looks like
someone that should hang with Christian Bale (and your fault right back, Megan)
3. Jeff Friesen
THREE PEOPLE WHO HAVE TO TAKE THIS QUIZ NOW:
And, to add one:
THREE THINGS I'M WORRIED ABOUT:
1. Getting into the grad school of choice
2. Writing an actual straight-up lit fiction story that I need for #1 to happen
3. Affording everything.
Thanks to Miss M., for being a catalyst in a couple of ways for an entry long overdue.
Comments: Post a Comment